Saturday 18 February 2012

The Cost Of Raw Feeding

Okay, I am being boring now (no change there then) but have you worked out what it costs you to feed your dog per week? I did a quick sum tonight... My dogs are fed a raw diet and they are fed twice a day and Ollie and Flash are fed three times a day. They get a breakfast of raw meaty bones (predominantly chicken carcasses and occasionally breast of lamb or pork shoulder ribs or pigs tails or rabbit) and supper is mince - beef, tripe, lamb - with added offal twice a week (heart, liver, kidney, lungs), eggs twice a week, sardines twice a week and veggie/fruit slop at least twice a week. It costs me roughly £6 per week to feed my dogs this diet ... and of course a little effort since it doesn't just fall out of the bag :-))

4 comments:

Food Fan Frank said...

Thanks for this post! I am considering switching my dogs to raw and was wondering about how much it would cost. I know there is a lot more effort to be put in, but I'm definitely willing to do that since there are so many benefits!

Klancraig said...

It's a pleasure 'Food Fan Frank'. You must remember though that raw feeding doesn't have to be complicated nor does it have to be expensive and the figure I have quoted has been calculated on the diet that I feed my dogs which is quite varied. That said I have also been raw feeding for a number of years now and have been lucky to source some good quality but inexpensive foods for my dogs.
I haven't gone into much detail of how I feed my dogs on my blog but have covered the subject in more detail on our website www.klancraig.co.uk and of course you are always welcome to drop me an email if you want any further help. Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Food Fan Frank said...

Ah, thank you very much! I have done some research on the types of food to feed and am getting ready to make the switch (hoping to do it in the next 2 weeks or so!) I will be checking out your website for more info and will email you if any questions come up! Thanks for your help!

George said...

Hi, we met Penny last year and after chatting to her decided that we would trial our Dobermanns on raw feeding.
After initially being a little anxious we are pleased to say we are now converts to raw feeding. So much so we have even started our cocker on the raw regime.
We are even surprised that the activity in preparing the food has proven to be a further bond with our dogs and commitment in their well being.
We are fortunate enough that a local butcher supplies the carcases for free (ignoring the boxes of biscuits).
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

George & Caroline